Tuesday, April 6, 2010

When u shop, the world gets better...



Last night I watched 'Confessions of a Shopaholic' for the nth time and fell in love with the movie all over again. Isla Fisher delivers a remarkable performance as a compulsive shopper who finds herself in a vicious circle of shopping & credit card debts. She is neck-deep in debt due to her shopping obsession and then to come out of the distress caused by this, she shops more, for she believes “When u shop, the world gets better & better”!

Doesn’t that sound like your own story? At least, it does sound a wee bit like mine, though not in the same proportions. Shopping is my dope too. The four-lettered word ‘SALE’ has a hypnotic effect on me. It is just an excuse for stocking up more goodies. That doesn’t imply that I do not shop when there are no discounts. Of course I do! My inner voice says that the good stuff is available only at full price and that wont be on display when the sale is on…Then why do I shop during sale?? Well, my inner voice does a volte face then and tells me that it’s a steal at the price I’m paying at the moment and I might bring that item to use later…like that black overcoat I can wear when I go abroad next time or that itsy-bitsy skirt that will look good in my beach vacation pictures or that pink-and-blue muffler that will jazz up my outfits when I’ll be in a snowy location or those killer stilettos I can wear when I go clubbing next (c’mon I don’t want to repeat my party shoes !) The list is endless …and so are my excuses. My wardrobe is on the verge of bursting at seams but my shopahol hangover refuses to get over easily.

As soon as my paychecks come in, my credit card payment cheques depart. Occasionally, I swipe my credit card for cheap thrills like reward points which I can redeem for gift vouchers and shop again! Each time I resolve not to fall in this trap but my shopper alter ego tricks me into it every single time. After all, like the protagonist in the movie, Becky Bloomwood a.k.a the girl in the green scarf puts it. ‘When u shop, the world gets better & better’! Sigh!!

My refraining ego & my shopaholic alter ego constantly engage in a war of words every time I cross a fancy shop but from the reverberating thoughts in my subconscious mind, the Girl-in-the-Green-Scarf comes forth to whisper gently in the ears of the Girl-with-a-Pink-Diary ‘Indulge in shopping but do it responsibly’!!

11 comments:

Sigrid Rahn on April 8, 2010 at 5:15 AM said...

nice last lines... all the more reason for me to keep away from women :)

Inky Pinky on April 8, 2010 at 5:17 AM said...

There's no escape ...LOL :D

Nomad on April 9, 2010 at 9:34 AM said...

Nice story of a shopholic, started with an example and ended with good note. Had I read it (or you written it) earlier, I would have saved hell lot money :D. Anyways, as you commented there's no escape.

Inky Pinky on June 11, 2010 at 5:32 AM said...

Not any shopaholic's, its MY story !! sniff sniff..

Shweta said...

Loved it!!!

Amrita said...

Kewl… Indeed being Shopaholic is fun. The best part of the awesome reading is the ending note which makes shopping more fun.
Keep enjoying the fun of being Shopaholic ‘Inky Pinky’ :)

preeti on July 28, 2010 at 8:50 AM said...

super !! reminds me of myself around sale time.i sulk if i have not checked all brands which are on sale :)....... after all we are sis in sins ....heheeeeeeeee

Inky Pinky on July 28, 2010 at 11:03 PM said...

@Shweta, Amrita : Thanks!
@Preeti:My partner-in-crime, soul sisters seldom differ ! Good that you cud identify with this shopaholic :)

Dimple on October 22, 2010 at 11:08 PM said...

Im a shopaholic!!! I loved the movie... I watched it along with other shopaholic friend of mine who read the book...She says book was interesting than movie... But all I have to say I could relate to the girl in green scarf so much... I like the way you write.... :)

Inky Pinky on October 24, 2010 at 8:33 AM said...

Thanks Dimple:)
I havent read the book but would love to !!

SEPO on February 11, 2011 at 8:13 AM said...

i knowww! i too love the movie and have seen it like emm well 100 times. yea.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Pink Diaries Copyright © 2009 Cosmetic Girl Designed by Ipietoon | In Collaboration with FIFA
Girl Illustration Copyrighted to Dapino Colada