Thursday, July 29, 2010

Deconstructing the 2-minute noodles


If there’s one food with which I associate my most profound memories, it has to be Maggi! 25 years old and still going strong…this 2-Minute wonder has grown with me (rather most of us, I’m sure!) in its varied garbs - a childhood staple, an instant hunger-fix after playtime, a delight in school tiffin box, a saviour in college canteen, a survival kit in foreign lands, a comfort food for lazy days and a saving grace after a hard day at work!

With a brand new campaign and innovative marketing, things could only get better between ‘me & meri’ maggi. But someone was playing killjoy in this blissful union. Forward emails starting doing the rounds on the internet highlighting the potential health hazards of consuming Maggi. The key points mentioned in the email were that these instant noodles are coated with wax and by cooking it the traditional way; we consume the wax along with it. It also mentioned that the tastemaker contains MSG and when the ingredients in the tastemaker are boiled, the molecular structure of the MSG changes, causing it to be toxic. Therefore, the correct way of making Maggi is to prepare it like hakka noodles - draining water after boiling the supposedly wax-coated noodles and mixing the tastemaker after the noodles are done.

I was heart-broken, totally ! I felt as if a good friend had betrayed me. I tried to ignore, avoid and occasionally snub that old friend for being what it was made out to be. When I couldn’t resist much, I started following the tip mentioned in the email and ended up getting frustrated every time I cooked Maggi since this new process was quite tedious. It was like a love affair gone sour!

The same forward mail landed in my inbox yesterday and this time I decided to give the relationship a second chance. I immediately wrote to consumer services at Nestle about the email demanding an official take on it.I was pleasantly surprised to receive a prompt reply from them clearing the air on the email contents. It turned out that the stated facts were FALSE and our good ‘ol Maggi noodles are as rocking as ever. In public interest, I am appending their reply here...hear it from the horse’s mouth!

Some relationships are meant forever, they say, and I couldn’t agree more today! Maggi, here’s to you and friendship…

8 comments:

Sadaffi said...

Hahah, loved it! Thanks for it though.. Maggi's still a permanent member of my pantry shelf. Seriously I dint know about these emails, so thanks to you I knew the myth and the truth all at the same time...!

SS said...

This blogpost is awesome...Really I was heartbroken when I was going through the article, as I didn’t know that Maggi, the only thing in the world I can take pride of that no one else can cook better than me type, also brought health hazard with it. However, thanks you have cleared the air at the end......As a matter of fact I don’t find myself complete without Maggi.....

Mili on August 5, 2010 at 1:22 AM said...

Hehe thats cute :). I am not a Magii lover but i can understand.

Sigrid Rahn on August 13, 2010 at 1:01 AM said...

I believe Nestle would always defend itself... Much like coke/pepsi defending against the content of fertilizers in their cola... what would be interesting is to have a look at the sources of the info posted thru mails... mite be some lab research done by folks or mite just be some urban legends... but if u say about the horse's mouth, the most horses that you see around are trojans and not the ones that neighs... :)

Inky Pinky on August 13, 2010 at 1:11 AM said...

@Sigrid Rahn, I agree with you on this but I did check the list of ingredients on the pack and it, infact, doesn't contain any MSG so the odds of the first allegation being true are also very less. Moreover, for things close to our hearts, we do like to listen what we believe in , ain't it ? :)

Sharon on October 12, 2010 at 7:24 AM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dimple on October 22, 2010 at 10:59 PM said...

Maggie noodles was and is still my best pal for a quick meal... there were series of doubts running in my mind when I was reading your blog... Thanks for clearing it... And I appreciate you for taking time and sending a mail to nestle.... Loved your post :)

Anonymous said...

They have worded this very well. MAGGIE NOODLES (emphasis theirs) do not contain MSG but the flavour sachet definitely does. It's legal to hide MSG as "natural flavours". :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Pink Diaries Copyright © 2009 Cosmetic Girl Designed by Ipietoon | In Collaboration with FIFA
Girl Illustration Copyrighted to Dapino Colada