Monday, February 21, 2011

The Gift of Time


The announcement of a blogging contest at Indus Ladies has got my creative juices flowing. Its been a long time since I wrote a commissioned post and this seems like the perfect opportunity. The contest is a prelude to the International Women’s Day celebration and therefore, centers on women. The topic is ‘A perspective on roles of Indian Women’ and this post is my entry for the contest. I tag TanviChandni and Ritu to participate in the contest.
I love Saturdays. Well, who doesn’t! But my reasons for loving Saturdays might differ from yours. I love them for a very simple reason that my husband is at work on Saturdays and I get the ME time I so look forward to the whole week. Don’t get me wrong here – I looove spending time with him and family too (whenever they are around) but there’s a greater person that itches for a fair amount of undivided attention – That’s Me!
 
I won’t call it self-love (though I admit I’m quite vain! :P) but I love spending time with myself for a simple reason that ‘Me-Time’ is liberating, exhilarating and peaceful all at one. Spending quality time with myself has always been therapeutic for me. Making activity almost irrelevant does that trick. I could spend that time doing anything from curling up in bed with a book or flipping through my favorite channels or facebooking endlessly to pampering myself in a spa or indulging in retail therapy without having to care much of the responsibilities that awaits me when the Me-time ends.Over time, it has become my quick fix for an instant rejuvenation.

And its heartening to know that it isn’t just me. I find more and more women appealed by this idea of Me-time. Women today, Indian Women to be particular, do realize (and definitely should!) that there is something beyond the labels that the world has metaphorically pinned upon their torso - homemaker, nurturer, mother, daughter-in-law and wife. Each responsibility, of course, constantly entails being a constant physical presence in the lives of others. Not many of us can look beyond these responsibilities even for a fraction of time without feeling guilty or selfish. 
My two cents to all the women reading this and on the brink of getting convinced of Me-time – your spending time with yourself is not being self-centred, it's self care! Irrespective of what role you play in life, care for yourself first so that you care for others better. There’s something magical, fun and empowering about spending time with oneself. You will always return with a renewed sense of gratitude for what awaits you. Discover yourself. Let your hair down. Turn up the volume. Croon louder. Laugh harder. Nobody will sue you for that!!! :)

Happy Women’s Day and a toast to your new-found freedom!

7 comments:

Phoenixritu on February 21, 2011 at 2:13 AM said...

Nice. All the best. Check mine

http://phoenixritu.com/2011/02/we-are-all-this-and-more-we-are-the-women-of-india/

For The Love Of Fashion And Other Things on February 21, 2011 at 5:16 AM said...

Thats a very interesting post!
All the best:)
XX

http://fortheloveoffashionandotherthings.blogspot.com

Suresh Iyer - Humanity is God on February 21, 2011 at 10:37 AM said...

Loved your take on Me-time
Its very important for women to retain their unique identity and be what they are and what they crave, desire and want to be.

An Interesting Post

Warm Regards
Suresh Iyer
Best Blog Winner, Indusladies 2010

Suresh Iyer - Humanity is God on February 21, 2011 at 10:37 AM said...

Loved your take on Me-time
Its very important for women to retain their unique identity and be what they are and what they crave, desire and want to be.

An Interesting Post

Warm Regards
Suresh Iyer
Best Blog Winner, Indusladies 2010

Tanvi on February 21, 2011 at 2:04 PM said...

Enjoyed reading your post!!! Thanks for tagging me. I will really really try to come one with something before 25th.

Geeta on February 21, 2011 at 2:40 PM said...

Nice post. Its nice to see a lot of women take out me-time without guilt.

SEPO on February 21, 2011 at 8:12 PM said...

lovely post!! me-time i think is very important and everyone is required to have some!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Pink Diaries Copyright © 2009 Cosmetic Girl Designed by Ipietoon | In Collaboration with FIFA
Girl Illustration Copyrighted to Dapino Colada