Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Short Hair Story


I can qualify as a model for a commercial on dull and lifeless hair. Trust me, I can offer a lot of variety in hair woes – dry, weak, frizzy, limp etcetera etcetera. The only thing which comes next to glowing skin on my secret wish list is shiny black hair and the overwhelming response to my post on glowing skin proves that we all girls share the same wish list, well, more or less, don’t me? Its comforting to know that someone out there empathizes with me as I embark upon the forlorn hope of shiny black hair.

I have been a tom boy for nearly half the time I‘ve spent on the earth. A tomboy with long hair is so uncool so I sported short hair during my tomboy hey days. The adulation for my mushroom hair cut combined with zero maintenance was reason good enough for keep short hair for 15 good years. When the sweet sixteen bug bit me, I decided to break the monotony and grow my hair long. And then came along the frenzy of hair care regime which, I thought, would to make up for the lost time.

I wasn’t genetically wired to have very long hair so the collective wisdom of mummies, aunties and didis came to my rescue. The ubiquitous items on their list found their way to mine – amla, reetha, shikakai et al. Ignorant of the proportions in which each of these have to be mixed before application, I applied a generous amount of only amla on my head and my hair ended up looking a shade of crow! That was the first and last time of my tryst with traditional hair care. Sooner, mehendi became a hair conditioning staple. I would pull all the ladies in the household for the mehendi regime and Sundays would turn out to be a day of green domes where heads belong. Full marks to this one though. It turned out to be quite effective and I would rejoice at the sight of an extra mm of length.

This bliss wasn’t meant to last long. I got carried away and went it for a perming treatment. My long-ish straight-ish (neither long nor straight) tresses which I had laboriously grown reduced to half its length. My curls evoked mixed reactions – some liked it, others were polite in saying straight were better. But when my bratty nephew described me with curls as a maverick scientist, my heart broke. I couldn’t wait for my straight hair to grow. Salon visits for a trim became as regular as groceries shopping. I ended up cutting off every bit of my curled locks and that brought me back to square one. I was left with bobbed hair, roughly the same amount I had years ago.

I put my hair through a more rigorous grind this time around. My hair would let out my eating preferences and I would end up covering it up with an explanation – vinegar – chinese? Yes, I love chinese food .So what, if I occasionally apply on my head too?!! ; egg – ofcourse, I am non-vegetarian ; beer – sorry, I don’t booze , its adds bounce to hair I’ve heard, so m just trying. Persistence did pay in terms of length but the shine was elusive.

Along came the streaking and coloring trend. Before I decided to take a plunge, my friend who went for a burgundy look started turning red with every wash and I just thanked my stars for not being too hasty. My long-ish and straight-ish hair needed a change and rebonding was an ‘it’ thing. After the perming fiasco, I was wary of any chemical treatment so bought myself a hair iron. It came handy in giving my hair a rebounded look but I had no respite from chemicals as I had to rub in a copious amount of hair mousse every time. In hindsight, it added a new attribute to my hair – brown-ish! :D

Whenever I enter a shop for buying skin care products, the sales assistant invariably tells me, “Ma’am, can I show something for your hair, too?”!! It leaves me confused whether she’s trying to hard sell or suggesting me to do something about my hair. “No, thank you. I’m just looking for something for my skin”, I retort.

I have grown comfortable with my brownish hair. Infact, I like it bcoz it look somewhat naturally colored. But I hit the panic button when my niece’s sketchy description – my hair is a color of branch. BRANCH??? Can u beat it? I headed straight to the Body Shop and this time when the sales assistant offered me to show some hair products, I told her to bring it on! I bought Grapeseed Glossing Serum and Rainforest Moisture Hair Butter.
The Body Shop's Hair Serum for dull and frizzy hair  ;)
Picture Courtesy : Inky Pinky
I’m sacrificing 10 extra minutes of my morning sleep to follow this new hair care regime. If I notice any visible changes in my hair texture in a couple of weeks with application of this serum and butter, I’ll definitely post a detailed review. Until then, I’ll keep my fingers crossed for the betterment of my long-ish, straight-ish, brown-ish hair…

P.S. What’s your hair story? Any tips for me?

22 comments:

Radhika on October 27, 2010 at 11:12 PM said...

Waiting waiting for your review - pls tell if its any good or useless at least...

Inky Pinky on October 27, 2010 at 11:21 PM said...

Sure thing, Rads! And that was pretty quick ;)

Radhika on October 27, 2010 at 11:36 PM said...

Speaks a lot about what I do with my precious daytime hours :D :D :D :D

Amrita said...

Wish u the best with : Grapeseed Glossing Serum and Rainforest Moisture Hair Butter. Hope, some wonder :)

Good post indeed!

Mili on October 27, 2010 at 11:46 PM said...

:-) I wud need something soon with winters round the corner. Well presented.

Dimple on October 28, 2010 at 1:14 AM said...

Waiting for your review.. Guess every girl has a similar problems.... Well written.. loved your way of writing... :)

S Rahman said...

Have you not heard of Sadaf Rahman tagline yet? It goes "Everyday is a BAD-Hair day for me".

Although must admit, ghd provide a silver lining to the cloud of mess on my head. One designer purchase I could never feel guilty about given my bank balance!

Inky Pinky on October 28, 2010 at 3:05 AM said...

@Amrita,Mili,Dimple: Thanks!

@Sadaf: Lucky u! I wudnt mind blowing up my entire bank balance if I knew of any such magic potion :)

Sadaf R said...

Get a pair of ghd girl!

For The Love Of Fashion And Other Things on October 29, 2010 at 1:21 AM said...

A Glossing Serum from Body Shop should do you good :) Most of their hair care products are worth a buy! :)
XX

Follow my blog at http://fortheloveoffashionandotherthings.blogspot.com

gayatri on October 29, 2010 at 2:02 AM said...

I know I know! my hair has a mind of its own, most of the time it rebels against any product that i use.


www.kavisto.blogspot.com

Inky Pinky on October 29, 2010 at 5:34 AM said...

@sadaf: I have a pair of Conair but sloth is often a working woman's vice , u see! Besides, too much of heat styling gave me this burnt ginger look :D

@A lot like Fashion : I hope it works this time around!

@Gayatri: Thanks for dropping by and commenting!

Tanvi on November 1, 2010 at 9:24 AM said...

i think we are all paying the price of the childhood abuse to our hair ... Let us know if this new product works.

Just if you are interesting this is what I have been doing to take care of my hair lately -

http://www.tanvii.com/2010/09/secrets-to-healthy-hair.html

Anonymous said...

Homeopathic medicine is mostly a natural type of healing!
[url=http://www.homeopathicdoctors.org/]homeopathy schools[/url]

Anonymous said...

I be enduring infer from a only one of the articles on your website at this very moment, and I unqualifiedly like your line of blogging. I added it to my favorites trap age muster and last will and testament be checking assist soon. Cheer check out my orientation as ok and let me be acquainted with what you think. Thanks.

Inky Pinky on December 8, 2010 at 8:20 AM said...

@Anonymous: Glad that u like my blogging. Wish u had left a lead to reach u. Thanks anyways!

Treatment for Hair Loss on December 12, 2010 at 5:58 PM said...

There are a lot of products out there and you really can't know its effect on your hair unless you tried it. And this effects doesn't come handy, it still needs time to be visible.

James | Best Hair Loss on January 9, 2011 at 10:52 PM said...

what can you say about the product you bought?

Inky Pinky on January 15, 2011 at 12:01 AM said...

@James: I have posted a detailed review of the product on my blog. Here's the link:

http://huesofpink.blogspot.com/2010/11/body-shop-grapeseed-glossing-serum.html

Hair Treatment for Hair Loss on January 17, 2011 at 7:00 PM said...

There are lots of hair products that are available in the market. Take some time to visit the market and buy of those products. It might help you on maintaining you hair.

Treatment for Hair Loss on January 17, 2011 at 7:03 PM said...

Thanks for the post. I find it very helpful. Now i can somehow maintain my beautiful hair.

hair loss on January 19, 2011 at 12:00 AM said...

Didn't people know that maintaining a short hair is much harder than having a longer one. Since shorter hair tends to be more unmanageable since it will go on different directions once it reached the shoulders.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Pink Diaries Copyright © 2009 Cosmetic Girl Designed by Ipietoon | In Collaboration with FIFA
Girl Illustration Copyrighted to Dapino Colada